- Open Workshop Project
- Upcoming Workshops for 2011
- Past Workshops
- Feedback from attendees
Open Workshop Project¶
Mission: Enabling Rails developers everywhere to organize and present high-quality introductory Rails workshops.
Lead: Sarah Mei, sarah mei at gmail dot com.
- Rachel Myers
- Director of Women's Outreach, Rachel also helps coordinate venues, organizers and mentors
- rachel.marie.myers at gmail (dot) com
- Carmen Díaz Echauri
- Director of Spanish Language Outreach, Carmen is organizing the first Spanish language workshop for August
- carmen.diaz.echauri at gmail (dot) com
- Austin Putman is the RailsBridge treasurer and can hook you up when it comes to workshop expenses. You do need to talk to him about your workshop and what you plan to spend in advance, but then he can get you paid back or find someone else to pick up the bill.
- austinfromboston at gmail (dot) com
- Kevin Fujinami is the Workshop Fundraising Lead and can help hook you up with sponsors
- kfujinami at earthlink (dot) net
- Sarah Allen is the President of RailsBridge and can help you find the right person if you have a need or question, lately she's been working on PR, and non-profit org stuff
- sarah at ultrasaurus (dot) com
Summary: Railsbridge runs introductory Rails workshop series in San Francisco. We are releasing all our topic outlines, slides, logistics notes, etc., and inviting the community to use and modify them.
Mailing list: for workshop organizers, volunteers and teachers
These initial workshops were aimed at getting more women in the SF Ruby community, but the workshop materials are suitable for a general audience. We hope that by releasing them, they'll find a wider audience than just the people we can personally reach.
There are a few places to look for things right now; we're working on consolidating. Meanwhile:
If you want to get involved, join our google group¶
If you would like to organize a workshop, check out our organizer wiki (you're on it)¶
If you want to know what we teach, check out DevChix and git¶
- All of the info about workshop curriculum
- Read the details of what we teach (slides are linked at the top)
- View workshop slides in-browser
- See the github repo of the slides and workshop materials
How can I help?¶
Please join the google group and ask, there is lots to do, including writing up a list of things to do!
Please feel free to make an account on the DevChix wiki and edit and add pages, even if you're a guy. We would have started over here on this wiki, but the workshop project actually got going before RailsBridge did. :)
Upcoming Workshops for 2011¶
- July 15-16, Modcloth SF, Amy Lightholder, Rachel Myer
- July 22-23, Kapor Foundation, Carmen Díaz Eschauri, en Español
- August 5-6, SF/Quid, Andrea Angquist, Walter Yu
- Octoberish, Code Camp? No install?
- East Bay/Oakland?, Date TBD Shailen Tuli, Glen Jarvis
- TBD, HackerDojo MountainView, Kelly Dunn, Doug Goldie (moved)
- Med Help HQ, 929 Market St, SF (2 wings w/ 5 sm-to-med conf rooms, sofas, desks, max 130 ppl)
- IGN, 625 2nd St, SF (large space & lots of conf rooms)
- Miso, 5th & Mission (large space + lots of conf rooms)
- Quid, Front & Pacific (large space + 3 conf rooms)
- Microsoft, above Westlake mall (large space + lots of conf rooms)
- Pivotal Labs, happy to host/sponsor every 3-4 months
- Engine Yard
- Hacker Dojo (Mountain View)
- CMU (Mountain View)
- Foothill College?
- Enphase Energy (Petaluma)
- O'Reilly (Sebastopol)
- Berkeley/Jon Seidel?
- 6050 Lowell St?
- June 12-13 2009 at OrangeLabs in South San Francisco ( Meetup pages for Friday and Saturday )
- July 31- Aug 1 2009 at Pivotal Labs in San Francisco ( Meetup pages for Friday and Saturday )
- Sept 26- Sept 27 2009 at sfCube in San Francisco
- Oct 3-4 2009 at Aloha on Rails
- Oct 16-17 2009 at Berkman Center, Harvard University in the Boston, MA area ( "details": http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/genderandtech/ruby-on-rails-workshop-for-women/ )
- Feb 26-27 2010 at Microsoft in San Francisco ( Meetup pages )
- May 20-21, 2010 at Pace University in New York City ( http://nycrubyworkshop.com/, @nycrubyworkshop )
- May 21-22, 2010 at Pivotal Labs in San Francisco (Meetup page )
- Sept 10-11, 2010 at Pivotal Labs in San Francisco (Meetup page )
- Oct 5-6, 2010 Rails Quickstart Charity Workshop at Mountainrb Conference in Boulder, CO
- October 22-23, 2010 at Engine Yard in San Francisco ( Meetup page )
- Dec 10-11, 2010 at IGN in San Francisco ( Meetup page )
- Feb 4-5, SF/Twitter, Amy Chen,
- Feb 4-5, Chicago/Hashrocket, Desi McAdam
- March 11-12, Enphase Energy, Petaluma, Brenda Strech & Ilen Zazueta-Hall
- March 25-26, Pivotal Labs, SF, Amy Lightholder
- April 8-9, SF/ModCloth, Megan Guering
- April 22-23, Seattle, Founder's Co-op Elise Worthy (sign up here)
- May 6-7, SF/Pivotal, Raphael Lee, Andrea Angquist
- May 6-7, NYC/Harvest, Mimi Hui
- June 3-4, Chicago, Ginny Hendry, Hashrocket
- June 2009 SF workshop
- August 2009 SF workshop
- September 2009 SF Workshop
- October 2009 SF Workshop
- May 2010
Feedback from attendees¶
"In addition to learning way more than I expected, I enjoyed the tone of the entire weekend. It was the only attitude-free, newbie-safe and mama-friendly tech event I have ever attended"
"It was wonderful to be surrounded by such motivated expert women programmers. It was a new experience for me. I liked it."
"A friendly and supportive environment. I was surprised at how much personal attention and care was given--really a wonderful, wonderful event from a great team!"