- Open Workshop Project
- How can I help?
- How to Organize a Workshop
- Upcoming Workshops for 2012
- Past Workshops
- Feedback from attendees
Open Workshop Project¶
Mission: Enabling Rails developers everywhere to organize and present high-quality introductory Rails workshops.
Lead: Sarah Mei, sarah mei at gmail dot com.
- Rachel Myers
- Director of Women's Outreach, Rachel also helps coordinate venues, organizers and mentors
- rachel.marie.myers at gmail (dot) com
- Carmen Díaz Echauri
- Director of Spanish Language Outreach, Carmen is organizing the first Spanish language workshop for August
- carmen.diaz.echauri at gmail (dot) com
- Ilen Zazueta-Hall
- Director of Leadership Development.
- Ilen has been generally helping out since workshop #2. Right now she's working on revising this wiki with more information on how to start your own Railsbridge Workshop. Please send her your feedback.
- ilen at ilen (dot) org
- Austin Putman is the RailsBridge treasurer and can hook you up when it comes to workshop expenses. You do need to talk to him about your workshop and what you plan to spend in advance, but then he can get you paid back or find someone else to pick up the bill.
- austinfromboston at gmail (dot) com
- Kevin Fujinami is the Workshop Fundraising Lead and can help hook you up with sponsors
- kfujinami at earthlink (dot) net
- Sarah Allen is the President of RailsBridge and can help you find the right person if you have a need or question, lately she's been working on PR, and non-profit org stuff
- sarah at ultrasaurus (dot) com
Summary: Railsbridge runs introductory Rails workshops in San Francisco. We are releasing all our topic outlines, slides, logistics notes, etc., and inviting the community to use and modify them.
Mailing list: for workshop organizers, volunteers and teachers: http://groups.google.com/group/railsbridge-workshops
The initial workshops were aimed at getting more women in the SF Ruby community, but the workshop materials are suitable for a general audience. We hope that by releasing them, they'll find a wider audience than just the people we can personally reach.
How can I help?¶
Please join the organizer Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/railsbridge-workshops. There is plenty to do, including writing up a list of things to do!
How to Organize a Workshop¶
Head on over to https://github.com/railsbridge/docs/wiki/Cookbook for our guide to organizing a workshop.
Upcoming Workshops for 2012¶
- August ? 2012:
- Engine Yard
- Ines Sombra
- September ? 2012:
- October ? 2012
- November ? 2012
- December ? 2012
- Med Help HQ, 929 Market St, SF (2 wings w/ 5 sm-to-med conf rooms, sofas, desks, max 130 ppl)
- IGN, 625 2nd St, SF (large space & lots of conf rooms)
- Review of security regarding fireproof safes for data storage
- Miso, 5th & Mission (large space + lots of conf rooms)
- Quid, Front & Pacific (large space + 3 conf rooms)
- Microsoft, above Westlake mall (large space + lots of conf rooms)
- Pivotal Labs, happy to host/sponsor every 3-4 months
- Engine Yard, 500 3rd St, Suite 510, SF (large space + several conference rooms)
- Scribd, 539 Bryant St., Suite 200, SF
- Hacker Dojo (Mountain View)
- CMU (Mountain View)
- Foothill College?
- Enphase Energy (Petaluma)
- O'Reilly (Sebastopol)
- Berkeley/Jon Seidel?
- 6050 Lowell St?
- June 12-13 2009 South San Francisco, OrangeLabs - ( Meetup pages for Friday and Saturday )
- July 31-Aug 1 2009 at Pivotal Labs in San Francisco ( Meetup pages for Friday and Saturday )
- Sept 26-27 2009, sfCube in San Francisco
- Oct 3-4 2009, Aloha on Rails
- Oct 16-17 2009 Berkman Center, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA "details": http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/genderandtech/ruby-on-rails-workshop-for-women/
- Feb 26-27 2010, Microsoft - Meetup
- May 20-21, 2010, Pace University, New York City ( website, @nycrubyworkshop )
- May 21-22, 2010, Pivotal Labs - Meetup
- Sept 10-11, 2010, Pivotal Labs - Meetup
- Oct 5-6, 2010, Rails Quickstart Charity Workshop at Mountainrb Conference in Boulder, CO
- October 22-23, 2010, Engine Yard - Meetup
- Dec 10-11, 2010, IGN - Meetup
- Feb 4-5, 2011 Twitter, Amy Chen,
- Feb 4-5, 2011 Chicago, IL, Hashrocket, Desi McAdam - Meetup
- March 11-12, 2011 Enphase Energy, Petaluma, Brenda Strech & Ilen Zazueta-Hall
- March 25-26, 2011 Pivotal Labs, SF, Amy Lightholder
- April 8-9, 2011 SF/ModCloth, Megan Guering
- April 22-23, 2011 Seattle, Founder's Co-op, Elise Worthy - Meetup
- May 6-7, 2011 SF/Pivotal, Raphael Lee, Andrea Angquist
- May 6-7, 2011 NYC/Harvest, Mimi Hui
- June 3-4, 2011 Chicago, Hashrocket, Ginny Hendry - Meetup
- Aug 5-6, 2011 Kapor Foundation, Carmen Díaz Eschauri, en Español
- August 13-14, 2011 Square, Andrea Angquist, Walter Yu
- August 17-18, 2011 @ Madison Ruby Conference, Desi Mcadam, Mad-Rails
- September 9-10 @ Pivotal Labs - Kelly Dunn, Sara Richardson - Meetup
- September 16-17, 2011 @ Substantial, Seattle, WA, Renée De Voursney & Elise Worthy - Meetup
- October 21-22 @ Engine Yard - 500 3rd St, Suite 510 - Andrea Ängquist, Ines Sombra - Meetup
- November 18-19, 2011, Google Ventures, Greg Tomei and Reneé Chu
- December 2-3, 2011, Pivotal, Sean Durham and Renee Chu
- January 13-14, 2012, Scribd, Walter Yu & Andrea Angquist
- February 25, 2012, ModCloth, Rachel Myers & ??, "Learn the Front End" - Meetup
- February 28-29, 2012, Bend, OR, Ruby on Ales, Renee De Voursney
- March 30-31, 2012: Pivotal, Lillie Chilen & Jessie Young - March 2012 Writeup
- April 21, 2012: Twilio, Renee Chu - Front End workshop
- April 27-28, 2012: Scribd, Carina C. Zona, Tina Lee, and Amy Lightholder
- May 11-12, 2012: ThoughtWorks, Mary Jenn and Rodrigo Vanegas
- May 12-13, 2012: Singapore, New Context, Desi McAdam
- May 20-21, 2012: Minneapolis, MN, JRubyConf, Nick Sieger & Sarah Allen - Registration
- June 1-2, 2012: Seattle, WA, Substantial, Renée De Voursney & Elise Worthy - Meetup
- June 1-2, 2012: Chicago, IL, Groupon, Ginny Hendry - Meetup
- June 8-9, 2012: Airbnb, Carina C. Zona & Bosco So - Meetup
- July 20-21, 2012: Code for America, Michelle Lee, Ruthie BenDor, Tina Lee
- June 2009 SF workshop
- August 2009 SF workshop
- September 2009 SF Workshop
- October 2009 SF Workshop
- May 2010
- May 2012
Feedback from attendees¶
"In addition to learning way more than I expected, I enjoyed the tone of the entire weekend. It was the only attitude-free, newbie-safe and mama-friendly tech event I have ever attended"
"It was wonderful to be surrounded by such motivated expert women programmers. It was a new experience for me. I liked it."
"A friendly and supportive environment. I was surprised at how much personal attention and care was given--really a wonderful, wonderful event from a great team!"